About the recipe
Who doesn’t like a wing night? I’ve always liked them but I was always torn because getting ones as take-out can be expensive and my body doesn’t really tolerate deep-fried food, and the ones you bake at home weren’t as crispy as I wished and they made a mess. I kind of gave up on them until I got my hands on an air fryer. Making my own sauces allows me to be creative and season them differently every time! Today I share with you my teriyaki wing sauce.
- Chicken wings are a must-have at our house. I usually buy a 2kg bag and thaw them as needed.
- Fish sauce is a condiment commonly used in Asian cuisine, made by fermenting small fish in a brine. It gives pad that its’ signature taste. You don’t really know how it tastes: it’s salty, sweet, fishy – and that’s called the umami flavour. It really boosts flavours of any dish.
- Use this sauce with other protein sources. You don’t have to use this sauce on chicken wings. You can use it in a stirfry, with chicken, tofu or tempeh.
- Make it vegan by replacing the honey with maple syrup and fish sauce with more soy sauce. Hoisin sauce is vegan already!
Smoky honey garlic wing sauce
For the chicken
- 500 g chicken wings
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp pepper
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- Cooking spray
For the sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce reduced in sodium
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp ginger grated
- 1 tsp Sriracha sauce
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- In a large bowl, toss the chicken wings with salt, pepper and baking powder.
- Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray.
- Put chicken wings in the air fryer basket as one layer. Make sure the wings don’t overlap each other.
- Cook in the air fryer for 25-30 minutes at 400°F, or until golden brown. Shake the basket halfway through the cooking. While they are cooking, make the sauce.
- Add sauce, shake the basket to coat your chicken wings and cook at 400°F for 5 minutes.