*Disclaimer: This recipe post is written as part of a one-day menu for the #SweetSpotChallenge in partnership with the Canadian Sugar Institute and its team of Registered Dietitians. The author has received compensation for her time to develop and share this recipe. All thoughts and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and are not influenced by the Canadian Sugar Institute.
About the recipe
This sandwich is the best way to use up tired vegetables. The balsamic marinade gives so many flavours to the vegetables. This sandwich is plant-based, with hummus that truly complements the flavours of it all.
Two weeks ago, I took part in the Sweet Spot Workshop hosted by the Canadian Sugar Institute, with Chef Claire Tansey – check out my blog post about my experience if you haven’t already! The workshop inspired me to take the challenge on my own and share with you my own What I eat in a day while taking part in the #SweetSpotChallenge, in partnership with the Canadian Sugar Institute. I had this sandwich for lunch and it was so filling and delicious. Check out my full menu here.Jump to Recipe
Use your favourite roasted vegetables. Here are the one I used:
- Bell peppers
As for the marinade, you’ll need:
- Olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper
The first thing you’ll want to do is cut your vegetables into strips. To do so, you can use a knife or a vegetable peeler.
Then, you can dip every slices of vegetables in the marinade. Then, you can roast or grill them, and assemble the sandwich.
I used ciabatta bread for this sandwich, and I put some hummus on the bread. I also put cheese and arugula to top off the sandwich.
You could use any vegetables you like in this sandwich. This sandwich is amazing on ciabatta bread, but you could use any type of bread you would like. It would be delicious in a wrap using pita bread or tortillas. Making it as a panini would also be so good! I used provolone cheese, but feta or mozzarella would also be delicious.
To make it vegan, you could also leave the cheese out or use a plant-based option.
Balsamic Roasted Veggies & Hummus Sandwich
For the marinade
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp garlic finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup eggplant sliced in ribbons
- ¼ cup zucchini sliced in ribbons
- ¼ cup bell pepper sliced in ribbons
- 2 tbsp red onion cut in strips
- 4 mushrooms sliced
- ¼ cup arugla
- 2 tbsp hummus
- 2 rolls of ciabatta bread
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, mix the ingredients for the marinade.
- Add the vegetables to the marinade and mix well to coat the vegetables evenly. Put the vegetables on the baking sheet. Add extra black pepper, to taste.
- Roast the vegetables for 15 to 20 minutes at 425°F. Flip halfway. Then, broil for 2 to 5 minutes, until the vegetables are a little bit charred.
- Toast the ciabatta bread. Coat with hummus on both sides of the bread. Put a slice of provolone cheese on one of the sides of the bread. Add the grilled vegetables and top with arugula.