About the recipe
Before we even start, are you team Mini Eggs or Creme Eggs? I am allll about the mini eggs! So, just in time for the long Easter week-end, here are my Mini Eggs and date caramel shortbread.
This recipe is inspired by billionaire’s shortbread. It’s a dessert made with a layer of baked shortbread, a layer of caramel and a layer of chocolate. I switched things up with mine to make a no-bake version with a layer of almond flour, a delicious date caramel filling and sprinkled some Mini Eggs on the top dark chocolate layer to make it more festive!Jump to Recipe
This shortbread is made of 3 layers:
- An almond shortbread crust
- A caramel date filling made of dates and nut butter
- A chocolate layer topped with crushed Mini Eggs, to get festive!
To make the dates nice and soft, I soaked them in boiling water. Then, to make the caramel filling, I used my Magic Bullet and mixed everything well.
You could make more of the date caramel and use it as a spread or a dip!
What takes the longest for this recipe is the time required to set in the freezer. It’s 100% worth it, though.Jump to Recipe
How to store
Save some of this shortbread in the fridge, and the rest in the freezer for a cold treat!
I made this recipe to celebrate Easter, but you could make it any moment of the year, if you leave the Mini Eggs out.
Mini Eggs and date caramel shortbread
For the almond shortbread crust
- 2 cups almond flour
- 4 tbsp coconut oil melted
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 pinch of salt
For the date caramel filling
- 1 cup pitted dates
- boiling water (reserve ¼ cup of the soaking water)
- 3 tbsp coconut oil melted
- 1 tbsp nut butter
- ¼ cup milk of choice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
The chocolate layer
- 1½ cup dark chocolate chopped
- 2 tbsp coconut oil melted
- ½ cup Mini Eggs crushed
- In a bowl, soak the dates in boiling water. Set aside and let soak and soften for at least 10 minutes.
- Cover the bottom of a 8×8-inch baking dish with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Make the almond shortbread crust: In a large bowl, add all the shortbread ingredients and mix well with a spoon. Firmly press in the baking dish. Put in the freezer while you make the date caramel filling.
- Make the date caramel filling: Drain the dates. Reserve ¼ cup of the water. Add to a food processor, along with the other caramel ingredients. Blend until smooth. Spread on the shortbread using a spatula or the back of a spoon. Let set in the freezer while you make your chocolate layer.
- Make the chocolate layer: Melt the chocolate and coconut oil in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir and put back in the microwave and repeat, until melted.
- Pour the melted chocolate on top o the caramel layer. Spread with a spatula or the back of a spoon. Sprinkle on the Mini Eggs. Set in the freezer for at least 2 hours before cutting (or overnight for better results).