About the recipe
Here’s my take on the viral Tik Tok baked feta pasta trend – with fresh spring flavours from Boursin© cheese, asparagus, peas and edamame.
I might be late to that baked feta pasta TikTok trend, but I wanted to do it RIGHT! Truth be told, I’m not a fan of tomatoes or feta cheese, so the viral recipe didn’t appeal to me much. I still wanted to come up with a recipe using the same concept, as it does look so quick and delicious to make! I wanted to make it my own by using cheeses and vegetables that I enjoy. That’s how I came up with this baked Boursin© cheese Spring pasta recipe with asparagus, peas and edamame. It tastes fresh but still comforting. Most of all, it’s a quick and easy 15-min delicious meal to make during week-nights.Jump to Recipe
This baked Boursin© cheese pasta recipe is easy and only requires a few ingredients:
- Pasta of your choice
- Boursin© cheese
- Fresh asparagus, shallots (or use onions or garlic), and frozen peas and edamame
- Olive oil, salt, pepper and red chilli flakes
I found this funky gnocchi-shaped pasta and thought it would be so perfect for this recipe. In case you’re curious, they’re from the brand Fior Fiore, made in Italy, and I found them at Walmart. Any pasta will do for this recipe. Long, short– you decide! You could use farfalle (bowties) or penne, or even some linguine or fettuccine.
Most of my friends from Quebec have seen Boursin© cheese on their cheese boards or party platters. It came as a surprise to me when I moved to Atlantic Canada that a lot of people don’t know what it is. So, here’s a quick FAQ:
- What is Boursin©? Boursin© is a creamy, mix of fresh and soft cheese called Gournay cheese.
- Where can I find it? You can find it in the deli and specialty cheese section at the grocery store.
- What can I use Boursin© cheese for? It’s usually used as a spread, but I used it as the base of this sauce. You could add it to any cheese dish you make or even use it in your dips.
- Does it come in other flavours? Yes! Boursin© cheese comes in an array of flavours. In this recipe, I used the original Boursin© Garlic & Fresh Herb cheese. I’d be very curious to know how this pasta would turn out with their Shallot & Chive, Basil & Chive or even make a version of Ciaccio e Pepe pasta with their Cracked Black Pepper flavoured cheese.
- Is Boursin© cheese vegan? Not the one I used in this recipe, but they just came up with a dairy-free version of the Fresh Herbs one!
I felt inspired by the arrival of spring for this recipe. My biggest wish for it to include nice green vegetables. In this recipe, I used asparagus, and frozen peas and edamame.
- What are edamame? Edamame beans are soybeans, that are picked before maturity.
- What does edamame taste like? To me, they taste like crunchy peas!
- What do they bring to this dish? Since they are soybeans, they are a whole protein source. That means edamame provides all the essential amino acids. They also add fibre to this dish, along with the other vegetables.
- Any other ways I can use edamame? You can steam or boil edamame beans and add them to salads, stir-fry, soups or stews. You could also puree it and add it to hummus or any other dips.
- Where can I find edamame? You can find edamame in the frozen section at the grocery store.
Making this pasta dish is as easy as 1,2, 3 – literally:
- Put your Boursin© cheese in a baking dish, along with your asparagus and shallots. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Bake for 15 minutes at 400°F, then broil for 5 minutes.
- Cook your pasta according to the packaging. At the end of the cooking, add the frozen peas and edamame to the cooking pasta. Drain and keep ¼ cup of the cooking water.
- Add the pasta and vegetables to the baking dish. Add the pasta water and mix well.
This recipe is delicious as is, but you can make it your own with these few tweaks.
- Add more veggies. I used asparagus, peas and edamame, but you could add even more vegetables to this dish – spinach, green beans, broccoli.
- Add some meat to it! I topped my pasta with seared scallops because I had them on hand. You could add shrimp, chicken or have it as is.
- Switch up the pasta shape! Try using long pasta or even another type of short pasta for this dish to switch it up.
Baked Boursin© spring pasta
- 3 cups pasta of choice save ¼ cup of the pasta water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pack Boursin© cheese
- 2 cups asparagus chopped
- 1 shallot chopped
- ½ cup frozen peas
- ½ cup frozen edamame
- salt and pepper to taste
- red chili flakes to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Put Boursin cheese in a baking dish, with asparagus and shallots. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Bake for 15 min at 400°F, broil for 5 min.
- Cook pasta. Before draining, add frozen peas and edamame. Drain and keep ¼ cup of the cooking water.
- Add the pasta, vegetables, and pasta water to the baking dish. Mix well and serve.